Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 18:29:21 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: md5 checksum server

Mike Hoskins writes:

>> 1) it requires DNSSEC to ensure the MD5 record data isn't forged
>
>Easy enough.

Technically, yes. But until we have offficially signed roots, it's
not practical to deploy.

>> 2) DNS caching would hide updates for the duration of the TTL
>>    attached to the TXT record
>
>Tuneable.

Yes, but a log of implementations silently enforce a 5 minute minimum
TTL, leaving a window where incorrect information could be presented.

>I didn't say this was ideal, but it's easy to setup does work in the wild
>now for some datasets.  Regardless, I'm not attached to any one
>proposal...  Feel free to make others.  :)

I like the idea of basing this on the PGP web of trust. I also sense
a business opportunity for anyone willing to build an Akami-like
secure software distribution service.

--lyndon