Date:      Sun, 02 May 1999 11:44:51 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   New toolkit. Pricing and overlaps

Just noticed the Tookit and although it is a great deal for the usrs I
think it should have been marketted different.

For instance this has 6 CDs, 2.2.X and 3.X latest snapshots yet cost
the same as a Release. Wouldn't it had made sense to have this package
cost higher than Release?

The other reasons for a price differentiation is that if the toolkits
are generated in a schedule simmilar to the Releases then people may
opt to drop their release subscriptions and go with the Toolkit. I
could be wrong, but I would think that it cost more Walnut Creek to
produce/ship the toolkit than it does a Release.

One way to solve the problem would be to set the FreeBSD releases less
often and have the toolkits in between. For instance if Releases in CDs
were done no more frequent than twice a year then the toolkits could be
done also twice a year falling 3 months after Releases.

This does not need affect the FreeBSD releases (i.e. 3.2). I am only
suggesting that CD Releases are made less often (i.e. no more than
twice a year) and to complement then with Toolkits.

Thoughts?