Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:52:32 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Lexmark 1100 printer

Is anyone using a Lexmark 1100 'Color JetPrinter' under FreeBSD?  My
wife just bought us one and although it's detected, I can't seem to
figure out what device to run lptest to..

   Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
   ppbus0: <Lexmark Lexmark 1000> PRINTER LEXELC
   ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
   plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0

But if I run 'lptest > /dev/lpt0' I get the following..

   [root@blues:~]# lptest > /dev/lpt0
   /dev/lpt0: Device not configured.
   [root@blues:~]#

In my kernel config I have the following..

   device          nlpt0   at ppbus?

I've also tried it with just 'lpt0' instead of 'nlpt0', and it detects
it as a generic printer instead of the Lexmark, but when
'lptest > /dev/lpt0' is run, the printer tries to print but just stops
and I have to reboot to get the port back.

Are these things Windows only and am I just wasting my time?  Any
help or advice would be appreciated.

TIA,

--
- Jim Mock - jim@blues.ghis.net - systems administrator - ghis.NET -