Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 95 13:13:28 -0400
From:      ejon@ll.mit.edu (Eric `two cats' Jones)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   boot failure on April snapshot

Greetings Gentlepersons,

	I'm having a fairly odd problem trying to install the April SNAP
of FreeBSD-2.0.  The installation procedure went basically flawlessly
through the disk partitioning and labeling and loading the cpio disk.
Then, when I tried to reboot using the just-installed kernel, is when
my trouble manifests itself.
	The boot manager works fine, allowing me to choose my FreeBSD
slice.  Then the loading mechanism goes to work without complaint.
Apparently the boot program has changed since 2.0 because it prints
out a boatload of information about symbol table size which is #ifdef'ed
out of my 2.0-R source.  I'm not sure if it then prints out the total size,
but it appears to stop about there, oddly, displaying the first segment of a
rotating bar.  If I wait long enough (10-20 sec?) the bar will rotate
a while (the disk seeks at this point), then freeze again.  This repeats
for as long as I have the patience to watch.
	As near as I can tell, it's stopping at MAKEBOOTDEV, since it
never prints out the entry point.  This seems a bit odd, since it
just builds a number out of component.  Maybe the output buffer just
isn't getting flushed?
	So, folks.  Any ideas?  Hints?  Condolences?  Thanks in advance
for any of the above.

Eric