Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:07:18 -0500
From:      Marc Wiz <marc@wiz.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 11 Hour Installs on KDE?

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:07:58PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> >AIX & smit makes X huge and bloated?  Smit is an application which
> >runs either curses or X for display purposes.  It is certainly not
> >to blame for X being bloated.
>
> No: MIT is to blame for X being huge and bloated.
>
> I was wondering what other blighted aspects of various vendor OS'es that I
> could point to that reminded me of the first impression I got of CDE, and
> 'smit' was what came to mind when I considered AIX.  To put it mildly, I'd
> rather have seperate dedicated tools than a jumbo swiss-army knife.  That
> way, I'd have lots of tools which actually do their particular job well,
> rather than single tool which doesn't do anything at all particularly well.

I don't wish to get too deep into this since it is off topic for
the list but I will for right now.

I have worked with smit quite a bit both as a user and as a developer
developing and fixing smit menus.  If you would take a look under
the covers you would find it uses lots of tools to do it's job.  In
some ways smit is a glorified command wrapper.  And it is quite a
good one at that.

As I mentioned earlier you have two choices for smit; the curses
interface and the Motif one.  (You probably have a web based interface
but I'm not sure about that)

Smit does do it's job quite well.  I would like to know the reasoning
that it does not do anything particularly well.  If there is something
you don't like you can customize and/or change it's behaviour.

I have used similar tools like HP's SAM, whatever AT&T called theirs
when SYSVr4 came out and linuxconf.   While I smit is the only one
of those tools I know a great deal about none of those other tools
come close to doing what smit does.

For any further discussion we should take this off the list unless
somehow it has a bearing on FreeBSD.

Marc
--
Marc Wiz