Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:06:13 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        dan@langille.org, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crontab entries need a CR/LF at the end

At 5:42 PM -0500 2/14/02, Dan Langille wrote:
>On 14 Feb 2002 at 23:40, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>  > It doesn't have to. In Unix a 'line' is generally defined as zero
>  > or more non-newline characters followed by a newline.
>  > So if it doesn't have a newline at the end, it isn't a line.
>
>Good points.  So do you think the exhibited behaviour conforms to
>POLA?  I don't.

It may not match POLA, but it might be prudent simply as a slight
safety measure.  Perhaps that last line *was* cut off in the middle
of the line, for instance.  You wouldn't want to execute half the
command.

I do think it would be helpful if cron printed out a warning message,
though, so the user has some chance of realizing what the problem is.
I don't know how easy that would be.  It sounds easy...  :-)