Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:33:02 +0200
From:      "Ari Suutari" <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
To:        "Peter Eccles" <peter@pm.cse.rmit.edu.au>, <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: current commmapi native drivers

Hi,

> i've been trying to find a working version of the commapi serial
> driver.  i've tried the rxtx driver which does not seem to be too
> concerned with FreeBSD, (although some efforts have been made), and the
> only other resource I found on the net seems quite old.
>   (http://student.ulb.ac.be/~jdricot/commapi/)
>
> Ive seen messages on this list about patches, but haven't found any
> references to where they might be found.
>
> Is there any active development on FreeBSD friendly native drivers?

    I have been using the commapi serial driver from URL you mention.
    I had some problems with native jdk1.2.2, because the JNI part
    uses select(2), which was not wrapped by JVM that time
    (maybe is now, I haven't checked). Anyway, I altered the driver
    so that it uses poll(2) instead of select. I have been using it to
    talk to Dallas Semiconductor's temperature sensors and
    weather station for some months without any problems.
    I can make those patches available but I don't currently
    remember on which of my machines I have them.

    I also exchanged some mail with the author of that code and
    he told me that he is no longer actively maintaining it since
    he was no longer using FreeBSD. Maybe someone could
    provide a new home for this and continue it's development.
    I myself might be able to help on serial interface since I have
    long experience with termios programming but I don't know
    anything about paraller port.

    I don't know if there are any legal issues on developing
    comm drivers like there is the SCSL license for JDK ?

        Ari S.