Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:50:36 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        Dario Freni <saturnero@gufi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will rfc2734 be supported?

At Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:27:03 +0100,
Dario Freni wrote:
>=20
> Hi guys,
> I was wondering if the standard implementation of IPoFW is planning to
> be implemented. I'm not expert on device writing, I was also looking for
> some workarounds, like attach the fwe0:lower netgraph hook to a virtual
> interface, but reading the rfc I realized that the normal IP packet
> needs an encapsulation before it's sent on the wire.

I have no plan to implement rfc2734 by myself near future.
IEEE1394 is somewhat complicated, compared with Ethernet.
Because there are some types of packets, fwe and IPoFW uses very
different packet type and formats, so you don't have an easy
workaround using netgraph.

If you are interested in implementing rfc2734, you need several steps.

- Implement rfc2734 encapsulation as /sys/net/if_ethersubr.c for
ethernt. rfc2734 uses very different packet format from ethernet.

- Implement generic GASP receive routin in the firewire driver.
You need this service for multicast/broadcast packet such as an arp
packet.

- Implement if_fw.c for the interface device.

Though I'm not sure it actually worked, the firewire driver for
FreeBSD-4.0 seems to have a support for IPoFW
See ftp://ftp.uec.ac.jp/pub/firewire/ for the patch.

> Bye,
> Dario
>=20
> --=20
> Dario Freni (saturnero@gufi.org) - SaturNero on IRCNet, Azzurra
> Gruppo Utenti FreeBSD Italia (http://www.gufi.org)
> GPG Public key at http://www.saturnero.net/saturnero.asc
> [2 Questa parte del messaggio =E8 firmata <application/pgp-signature (7bi=
t)>]
>=20

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp