Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 20:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "David L. Hays, Jr." <elfkinz@elfland.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with sound card and lpt port on non-standard IRQs

My SoundBlaster 16 (CT2230) is set to use IRQ7 (not the default).  The IRQ
is not set by a jumper on the hardware, so I have no idea how to change
it back to th e default.  I have had no problems with the sound card until
recently when I dec ided to hook a printer up the the machine.

The LPT port has been disabled in BIOS until now.  In the BIOS I set the
printer up on IRQ5 so it wouldn't be in conflict with the sound card.  I also
made the appropriate adjustments in the kernel config file (see below).
I thought that t his was all I would need to do, but after rebuilding the
kernel with the parelle l port enabled I have no sound (dmesg output is
below).

I would like to get both the printer and soundcard working by either a)
finding what else needs to be adjusted with the kernel config file (or if
there are any other files that need to be edited), or b) get the soundcard
reset to it's defau lt IRQ (5 I think).

I have searched through Creative Lab's web page for any utilities for
changing t he IRQ of the sound card, but have not found anything, so I
think that option "a" might be the easier of the two.

-----
Kernel Config file:
# Parallel port
device         ppc0    at isa? port? irq 5 drq 3
device         ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device         lpt             # Printer

# SoundBlaster
device          pcm
device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 flags 0x15

-----
dmesg with Parallel port disabled in BIOS and commented out of the
kernel config:
sbc0: <SoundBlaster 16> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 7 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa0
pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.11> on sbc0

cat /dev/sndstat shows (with Parallel port disabled):
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) May 26 2001 19:30:12
Installed devices: pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.11> at io 0x220 irq 7 drq 1:5 (1p/1r
channels duplex)

-----
dmesg with Parallel port enabled in BIOS on IRQ5 and enabled in kernel
config:
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x278-0x27f irq 5 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
sbc0: <SoundBlaster 16> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 7 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa0
sbc0: alloc_resource
device_probe_and_attach: sbc0 attach returned 6

cat /dev/sndstat shows (with Parallel port enabled in BIOS on IRQ5 and
enabled in kernel config):
cat: /dev/sndstat: Device not configured

--
|   David L. Hays, Jr.   |   david@elfland.net   |   http://www.elfland.net   |
 It is very difficult to prophesy, especially when it pertains to the future.