Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 12:49:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <keith@mail.telestream.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   restore time

Why is it when I restore from tape, the tape seems to take forever to
get the file off. Example

restore > add piano
restore > extract
You have not read any tapes yet.
Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start
with the last volume and work towards the first.
Specify next volume #: 1

For a simple little file it will take more then an hour. I doubt it has to
do with equipment since it does this on every tape device I've ever used
but here is the stats

FreeBSD 4.0-stable
DLT4000 tape drive
Fresh tape
No compression

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong possibly?

Keith

Keith W.

At the helm <for better or worse>