Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:54:52 -0700
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   I bought an HP N5470.

The HP N5470 Laptop seems to have most everything at a fairly reasonable price.
Athlon 4 1GHz, 256MB, 20GB, DVD-CDRW, 3Com mini-PCI NIC/Modem, 15" XGA TFT,
Polk Audio Snd. for 2,099.

The good news:
I have installed current and have already burned a current release with the
DVD-CDRW with mkisofs and burncd.  Speed - I won't even try to compare the
AthlonIV processor to my old laptop K-6-2 300Mhz:-)

The challenges/opportunities:

The <Accton EN2242 MiniPCI 10/100BaseTX> doesn't want to work and my old DLink
660 saved the day.  Should the miniPCI/modem work?  Does anyone have experience
with it?  It shows up as dc0 but somewhere I saw that it thinks it is a
3com90X but doesn't seem to like the xl driver either.

I also have a problem with the scratch pad.  I am getting atkbd0 and the mouse
recognized as I am used to seeing then I get an atkbd1 and kbd1 being recognized
that I think may be why my mouse doesn't work.  I seem to remember a post
about that and searched the archives and didn't come up with anything.:-(

Haven't started sound or xfree86 yet (trident CBXP?).  pcm0 isn't even
recognized.  Anyone had experience with polk audio?

If anyone has any information/suggestions/success stories for the Accton
EN2242, the trident CBXP, the polk audio system or even the keyboard being
recognized as twice.  It would be appreciated.

thanks,

ed