Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 02:04:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        John Brann <john@brann.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [john: tty behaviour]

> I sent this to questions a couple of weeks ago, but didn't receive any
> helpful replies.  Anyone doing this - two machines connected by a null-modem
> cable with the ability to create a serial terminal session from either
> side, with suitable juggling of getty processes?

Used to do this in Linux w/o any problems...  Just make sure that each
side waits for CD to go high before actively "starting" the getty
process, and that DTR is NOT asserted while the lines are idle.  Kick up
kermit (or whatever) on the box 1, and the DTR signal from box 1 goes to
CD of box 2 - box 2 sends a login prompt, and life is good.

(If memory's working, I had to beat up getty a bit to keep DTR low when it
was idle, but that wasn't too difficult - one ioctl at the appropriate
place...  If I remember, I'll look at this a little more carefully when
I'm not so fried.)

mike