Date:      Thu, 2 May 2002 17:14:46 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP on 4.4.STABLE with problems?

In the last episode (May 02), Jorge Biquez said:
> On the company I'm working a client asked for a server for their
> simple and plain web pages. They asked for an FTP account and Apache
> configured. They have been working without problems. Since last month
> a new area of the IT department is "auditing" the server remotely and
> are asking for fixing the things they found wrong (or they believe it
> is wrong). According to them the FTP that is running by default on
> the 4.4.-STABLE version has problems.  "Their automated report says
> it". I'm including the message they sent me at the end of this email.
> Any similar experiences on this? What have you done with clients like
> this that think that "the server they ordered to configure is wrong
> configured"?.

Tell them to read the nessus report:

> -------This is what they sent me as result of their auditing-----
> FTPD glob Heap Corruption ftp (21/tcp) You seem to be running an FTP
> server which is vulnerable to the 'glob heap corruption' flaw. An
> attacker may use this problem to execute arbitrary commands on this
> host.
>
> *** As Nessus solely relied on the banner of the server to issue this
> *** warning, so this alert might be a false positive

With the 'only safe tests' flag turned on, nessus doesn't actually test
for bugs; it just checks banner strings and version numbers.  FreeBSD's
FTP client has always reported

220 hostname FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.

and nessus checks that and says "possibly buggy".  This bug was fixed
in FreeBSD's stock ftpd prior to the release of FreeBSD 4.3.
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-01:33.ftpd-glob.v1.1.asc

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com