Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:06:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Eric Ken Lin <elin@orion.ac.hmc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Setting background image for fvwm95

I'm trying to get a full-color JPEG image to appear automatically as the
background image of my fvwm95 desktop immediately upon logging in via XDM.
I've tried converting it to BMP format using the xview program & I've also
altered the line in my .fvwm95rc file which executes the xsetroot program.

After logging out & logging back in via XDM, my background image failed to
appear. So I then typed the following line in an xterm window:

	xsetroot -bitmap <bitmapfilepath> &

where <bitmapfilepath> is the full path of my desired BMP file. The
xsetroot program responds with the following error message:

	xsetroot: bad bitmap format file: <bitmapfilename>

where <bitmapfilename> is the name of my BMP file.

Is it really possible to get a JPEG image to show up as the background
of my fvwm95 desktop automatically upon login via XDM? And if so, how? I'm
using version 2.2.5 of FreeBSD, but I doubt this little bit of info will
be useful in answering my question.

Thanks!