Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:41:10 -0400
From:      Travis Mikalson <bofh@terranova.net>
To:        Greg Rowe <greg@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone know what this SCSI error is about?

Greg Rowe wrote:

>  There is a known problem with the Adaptec 2940UW's that report "rev 1". Justin
> is trying to get info out of Adaptec as to what the real issues are. Check the
> card, and the AIC chip should have a white label marking it as revision "E".
> Either replace the card with a Revision "D" or lower or set the transfer rate
> to the drives to 10MBS. That's the only option so far. There don't seem to be
> many revision "E's" in the channels, so it shouldn't be hard to find a good
> one.
>
> Greg

Hmm how about this one (this machine is my playbox running -CURRENT so
I'm guessing the rev output is a bit different than 2.2.x):
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 19 on pci0.11.0
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

That gives me those problems ONLY when I stress the drive to the
absolute max with dd and silly benchmarks. Looks like rev 0x01 means
I should exchange the card for a D. No mystery there.

I've never ever seen the aborts and timeouts in the 155 days this one
(also a -CURRENT box from.. well.. 156 days ago) has been up which is a
lot more than I can say for the next box :(
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 10 on pci0.10.0
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

this is the last one with a 2940UW in it where there have been so many
kernel messages (most of them from the SCSI timeouts, aborts, retries)
that I can no longer see the beginning of the dmesg...
I see it's a Rev C, not an E, but I still have the problems with this
one that have been described earlier:
sd1(ahc0:2:0): SCB 0x6 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
SEQADDR = 0x5 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x5 SSTAT1 = 0xa
Ordered Tag queued
sd1(ahc0:2:0): SCB 0x6 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0x0
SEQADDR = 0x4 SCSISEQ = 0x12 SSTAT0 = 0x5 SSTAT1 = 0xa
sd1(ahc0:2:0): Queueing an Abort SCB
sd1(ahc0:2:0): Abort Message Sent
sd1(ahc0:2:0): SCB 6 - Abort Tag Completed.
sd1(ahc0:2:0): no longer in timeout
Ordered Tag sent

This one's been up for 85 days and is running 2.2.6-BETA from mid-March
but has had this problem since upgrading from 2.1.5 to 2.2.[1 I think]
Same symptoms with three different cables and without the AHC_ options.

All of these machines have all the AHC_ options enabled right now and no
CAM.

-T
--
TerraNovaNet Internet Services - Key Largo, FL
Voice: (305)453-4011        Fax: (305)451-5991