Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:08:07 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Ana Romero <anar@ees2.oulu.fi>
Cc:        Mobile FreeBSD <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>, Questions FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WaveLAN cards detected but not network

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 04:35:12PM +0200, Ana Romero wrote:
> I have a private network with a laptop with WaveLAN card installed and a
> PC with two cards, WaveLAN card and Ethernet 3Com. In the PC both cards are
> in the same network, WaveLAN card is joined to the network by IP-aliases.
> The NIC is detected normally and I can ping my own IP Address
> in the three cards. But when I try to ping to the other computer it prints
> "host is down".

You can't do this.[0]  They must be on different networks.  If the
WaveLAN card were a normal Ethernet card, you could achieve this effect
with bridging, but WaveLAN cards are configured such that they can not
be used to bridge Ethernet networks.  If you want a bridged wired and
wireless network you must use an access point.

-- Brooks

[0] Actually, you might be able to implement a truly evil hack with ARP
proxying if you only need IP traffic, but it would be ugly, fragile and
a true pain in the ass.  You're not likely to find anyone to help with
implementing this system, but if with enough knowledge and thought it
should be possible.