Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 2000 21:26:02 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, obrien@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of tcsh into src/contrib/, replacing src/usr.bin/csh

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> -On [20000407 12:05], Bob Bishop (rb@gid.co.uk) wrote:
> >
> >At 13:49 06/04/00 -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> >>I'm going to be importing tcsh into src/contrib/ and replacing /bin/csh
> >>with tcsh. [etc]
> >
> >On principle, please don't do it. I'd go so far as to vote for having
> >/bin/sh as root's default shell. If people want to use whacky shells and
> >set fire to their ass they are free to do so, but I seriously doubt the
> >wisdom of encouraging them.
>
> I agree with your statement.
-snip-
> To substantiate:
-snip-
>         - Embedded Systems.
>           Effectively, embedded systems are pretty customised because
>           they need to be small in size as well as be functional.  This
>           idea would support the argument of retiring csh to the ports
>           system and just have sh as the only shell in the base system.
>           That opens the way for easily customising the sources by using
>           the ports or just using /bin/sh since it is fast, small and
>           reliable.

I've seen this argument more than one time in this discussion but it
is void. Nobody is going to install the base FreeBSD distribution on
an embedded system. This mean he/she has to walk through the tree
anyway to cut out all unneeded binaries (ie. atm*, isdn*, etc.).

tcsh is just one more to be cut out in this case.

PS: My vote is yes on importing tcsh.

--
Andre