Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 22:48:04 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Phelip Cray" <phelipc@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NICs

Your probably working with a box of old ISA nics.  PCI nics are
generally all autodetected by FreeBSD.

Most experienced network admins have seen all sorts of Ethernet
nics and can readily identify any of them that you happen to pull
out of a scrap pile.  If your not adept at identifying NICs
in this way then your probably best off temporairly loading
Windows 95 and using it's autodetection feature to figure
out what you have.  Then go to the manufacturers website and
download the docs for them.