Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph documentation?

Lars Eggert writes:
> > I don't think you can have a point-to-point interface who's
> > remote IP address is also local to your box. In other words,
> > this may not work on the same machine but it might work if
> > you use two different machines... can you try that?
>
> The addresses of the point-to-point interface aren't local to the box,
> the encapsulation ones are. I do this all the time with gifs and tuns,
> and it works fine.
>
> Anyway, I tried it with two machines, and I see the same thing happening:
>
> Ping packets originating on the client make it over the TCP tunnel, and
> the server sends something back (ICMP reply, I from the looks of it).
> However, the data gets dropped somewhere after the bpf dumps the packet.
>
> Ping packets originating on the server never enter the tunnel, and I see
> "ping: sendto: Socket is not connected".

Ah yes, now I remember.. the problem is that the listening socket
is not the same socket as the socket for the new connection. E.g.,
notice the way accept(2) works.

What you want to do is not supported in -stable. You can try applying
these patches from -current:

	sys/netgraph/ng_ksocket.c	rev. 1.20
	sys/netgraph/ng_ksocket.h	rev. 1.5

-Archie