Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 20:06:46 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Gabriel <gabriel@laker.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 29160 Support?

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 21:47:04 -0500, Gabriel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running 2.2.8-stable and wish to upgrade to 3.4-stable.  I will need a
> new hard drive for the upgrade.  I currently have an Adaptec 2940AU and a 9.1GB
> Ultra SCSI drive.  I have yet to see any Ultra SCSI drivers larger then 9.1
> GB (except for Seagate's 5400 RPM 50GB dinosaur, which I believe is a 5.25"
> drive?).  Adaptec's 2940U2W looks like a good replacement for the 2940AU,
> but I would rather get their 29160.  Will the 29160 series be supported in
> 3.x and 4.0 in the future?

The Adaptec 29160 is supported in -current, although right now it will only
run at Ultra2 speeds.  (Ultra160 speeds will be enabled before too long.)
It is not yet supported in -stable, although I'm sure it will be at some
point.  You can mail Justin Gibbs <gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG> to inquire about when
support might make it into -stable.

As for drives, you're more than 2 years behind if you think that 9G drives
are the best out there.  All the major vendors are shipping 18G and 36G
drives, and Seagate is even shipping a 50G Barracuda, which is a 3.5" half
height drive, and runs at 7200rpm.

The drive you're thinking of is likely Seagate's old 47G drive, which was
indeed a 5400rpm full height 5.25" drive.

If you're going to get a new drive, I'd suggest getting IBM or Seagate
disks.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry