Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:09:04 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Manfred Usselmann" <Usselmann.M@icg-online.de>
To:        "Nils Bokermann" <nilsb@bermuda.de>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and MTU problem

Hi Nils,

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 11:33:57 +0100, Nils Bokermann wrote:

>Hi!
>
>The following problem: I have a DSL-Connection to the internet, and a
>few client behind the BSD-Box (see picture). I can do connections to
>the internet, nearly everything works. But I DO have 2 systems (which I
>desperatly need), which do NOT fragment the packets. When using a Linux
>Router (don't blame me for that) everything just works fine. Is there a
>problem with my configuration, or is that a BSD-specific-Problem.
>
>client <-- ethernet (MTU=1500) --> FreeBSD-Box <-- DSL
>(MTU=1492)-->Provider(german Telekom)

You need to set the MTU size to 1492 on the client too.

For a detailed explanation see
http://renaud.waldura.com/doc/freebsd-pppoe/

It looks like this will no longer be necessary in future versions of
FreeBSD as I read on the site mentioned above:

"As of December 2000, ppp now understands the option tcpmssfixup which
implements what tcpmssd does below. This version of ppp is included in
FreeBSD >= 4.3. This feature is enabled by default, but you can still
add it anyway:

    enable tcpmssfixup

to your ppp.conf."

>kruemel# cat /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
>default: # or name_of_service_provider
>  set device PPPoE:rl0 # replace xl1 with your ethernet device
>  set mru 1450
>  set mtu 1450

Why not 1492?

You might want to add