Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:29:52 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@ns1.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: xauth question

> From: Gary Kline <kline@ns1.thought.org>
> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> 	On the DNS system I'm configuring (temp named `fubar'), I get
> 	get the follow err message when I ssh across.  Can anybody
> 	give me some clues about this "bad display name" message?
> 	It really is an incorrect DISPLAY name.
>
> 	Could this have something to do with the 4.0.1 release of
> 	X11?  Or could something with how ssh is set up this side?
>
> 	TIA,
>
> 	gary
>

> p6 11:23 <tao> [1031] ssh -l admin fubar
> admin@fubar's password:
> Last login: Sat Jul 21 22:51:18 2001 from sense-kline-248.
>

> /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (stdin):1:  bad display name "fubar.thought.org:10.0" in "add" command
> fubar%

Gary,

This indicates that xauth on the remote system tried to add an entry
in the .Xauthority file for what it thinks is the remote system,
fubar.thought.org. This failed, probably because the remote system has
a hostname of fubar.thought.org, but this could not be translated to
an IP address. I believe you can fix this either in DNS or by adding
an entry to /etc/hosts on the localhost line.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)