Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:59:42 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        guenther.schmidt@bigfoot.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Processes that have been terminated still resident in system!

Guenther Schmidt (gue.schmidt@web.de) wrote:

> I'm using 4.2 Stable. I found that when I finish with certain programms
> I can still see them taking up rescources under top. Namely netscape and
> Staroffice.
>
> This continued even after I logged out from X, process was still
> resident.
>
> Is this because the programs are natively linux programms or is it just
> something that happens occasionaly?

It shouldn't have anything to do with them being Linux programs. It
probably has to do with the fact that Netscape and StarOffice are
gigantic and buggy. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it happens
consistently.

What happens if you try and kill the processes? Find the process
ID via 'ps -acx | grep netscape' (for example), and use the kill
command to signal the process to quit. I usually try kill without
any arguments to allow the program to quit gracefully. If that
fails, you can kill the process with kill -KILL, which processes
may not ignore.

You can also kill the process directly from top, by typing 'k'.

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105