Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 01:58:12 -0500
From:      Christopher Rued <christor@UG.CS.SUNYSB.EDU>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Rued Christopher <christor@UG.CS.SUNYSB.EDU>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc running out of swap space during build...

Kris Kennaway writes:
 > On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:45:14PM -0500, Rued Christopher wrote:
 > > The exact command looks like this:
 > >     gcc -c -O4 -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions \
 > >         -Winline -m486 -ansi -pedantic -Wall builtin.c
 >
 > What do you hope to achieve with -O4? That optimization setting
 > doesn't even exist in gcc, and anything over -O is known to generate
 > bad code sometimes anyway.

Hmm...

That command was given from a makefile that was generated by a
configure script distributed with the source, so I'm not sure what the
purpose was.

I found the nasty makefiles that were giving the -O4 option to gcc,
and replaced them with -O, as you suggested, and everything now seems
to be working properly.

It seems to me that if I give gcc an option that does not exist, it
should complain about it, shouldn't it?

Thanks for the help.

                                                 -Chris