Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 19:39:39 +0000
From:      Rik <freebsd-security@rikrose.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS5 password salt calculation

I've been thinking about this Modulær Crypt Format, and wondering what
it's capable of, and where the docs are for it...

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 01:38:54AM -0500, Bill Vermillion wrote:
> You can't say that $1$ 'caught on' as that's the way it is defined
> to indicate what follows. The $1$ indicates the following is an MD5.
> I was looking for the docs the other day, and from memory if the
> first characters are $5$, then that indicates that the following
> string would be blowfish encryption. You should also not that the
> next $ is the salt separator, and on my system there are typically 8
> digits after $1$ and before the next $, for 2trillion+ salts.

I've mailed Bill, and he doesn't know of any *good* docs about it. The
best I've found is man 3 crypt, and the best Google can find is more
copies of man 3 crypt, usually out of date.

Are there any better docs about Modular Crypt Format (to give it the
proper title).

The man page says:
If the salt begins with the string $digit$ then the Modular Crypt Format
is used.  The digit represents which algorithm is used in encryption.

But in what way does it represent it? Is there a lookup table somewhere?
If so, where? The "currently supported algorithms list" on the man page
says $1$ == MD5 and $2$ == Blowfish. Assuming blowfish works, then if I
ran perl -le 'print crypt( "meow", "\$2\$SALT" )' ought to yield a
blowfish crypted password, shouldn't it? It doesn't, AFAICS.

rik
--
PGP Key: D2729A3F - Keyserver: wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net - rich at rdrose dot org
Key fingerprint = 5EB1 4C63 9FAD D87B 854C  3DED 1408 ED77 D272 9A3F