Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:45:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall option for softupdates

>Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:33:59 +0100
>From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>

>In message <20010312112823.D21123@dragon.nuxi.com>, "David O'Brien" writes:

>>> In this case, it might be better to just turn it on by default and let

>>Problem is many still feel it should not be used on / .

>Why not ?

Probably because of the behavior when a softupdates-enabled filesystem is
active & near full.  This can be exacerbated on / if /tmp isn't a separate
filesystem.

Since I mount /tmp as a separate filesystem, and since I boot the laptop
in any of 3 different environments (with the "other environments"
represented as other filesystems), I've enabled softupdates on all of
the disk-based filesystems on the box.  No problems so far (a few hours
shy of 1 week).  Biggest workload is the make {build,install}{world,kernel}
stuff.

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.