Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 10:40:27 EDT
From:      "Greg Thompson" <johnnyteardrop@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   threadsafe name resolution

i've just received confirmation from the author of the KAME resolution code
that it isn't at all thread safe:

>Sure.  As noted in name6.c, thread related stuff is not implemented yet.
>Since our resolver code based on bind4 doesn't aware thread safeness,
>all I can do now would be only putting mutex, anyway.

sure enough, name6.c says:

/*
* TODO for thread safe
*	use mutex for _hostconf, _hostconf_init.
*	rewrite resolvers to be thread safe
*/

now, i'd say that it's fairly important for some form of threadsafe name
resolution to exist.  until the KAME code is fixed, how about adding in the
ipv4 _r methods that have been discussed from time to time?  or, at the very
least, put something in the manpage for getipnodebyname and friends
indicating that the funcs are not threadsafe.

as you can probably tell, i wasted several hours worth of work bumping into
this problem.
--
                -greg