Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 14:45:51 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        kim culhan <kimc@w8hd.w8hd.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: anyone care to investigate this?

de> wrote:
> > > P.S. to the FreeBSD side - why does Netscape give an error message about
> > >      a failed uname() call on startup, when running on 2.0R ?
> >
> > It's a bug in the implementation of the uname() library routine, or somethi
ng
> > related to it.  I don't know exactly what the problem is on FreeBSD, but th
> > same problem existed on BSDI, until they fixed it.  The Netscape FAQ says:
>
> FWIW, on 2.0.5 -current I see no errors returned on Netscape startup.

jkh@whisker-> uname -a
FreeBSD whisker.internet-eireann.ie 2.0.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE #0: Sat Jun 17 19:11:37 BST 1995     jkh@whisker.internet-eireann.ie:/usr/src/sys/compile/WHISKER  i386
jkh@whisker-> netscape
netscape: uname() failed; can't tell what system we're running on

Perhaps you're not using Netscape 1.1R?

I wouldn't have forwarded this if I hadn't also seen it myself.. :-)

						Jordan