Date:      Sun, 19 May 2002 20:54:47 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Thomas Wuerfl <thomaswuerfl@gmx.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware 2.0.4

At 10:46 PM +0200 5/19/02, Thomas Wuerfl wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I install vmware 2.0.4 on current from 17.5.2002. Everything works ok except
>the networking. If I configure bridged networking, i get this error at
>startup:
>		Could not open /dev/vmnet0: No such file or directory.
>		Failed to confiugre ethernet0.
>
>Ok. There is not vmnet0 in /compat/linux/dev. There's only vmnet1.
>If I change the device to vmnet1, iget this:
>
>		Could not open /dev/vmnet1: Device not configured
>		Faild to configure ethernet0.
>
>Any Ideas?

When installing vmware2, I recommend "netgraph bridging" (which
I think you have selected).  But after that install, when you go
to create virtual machines, then in the VMware preferences for
that virtual machine you want to say "host-only networking".

When running vmware2 on freebsd-current, there is also an
oversight in the port.  It does not know how to set things
up for a system which is using "devfs" (and that is the
default on -current).  You need to:
     cd /compat/linux/dev
     rm vmnet1
     ln -s /dev/vmnet1
     rm rtc
     ln -s /dev/rtc

You'll then have to reboot, so the initialization of vmnet1
will be done correctly.