Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:27:27 +0000
From:      "Jay L. T. Cornwall" <jay@jcornwall.me.uk>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW / if_bridge / NAT

Freddie Cash wrote:

>> This seemed to NAT packets outbound correctly, but the replies were
>> never NAT'd back to the private IPs. I believe the presence of the
>> bridge affects ipfw's ability to divert the appropriate packets. This
>> configuration partly works:
>>   divert natd any from 192.168.1.0/24 to any
>>   divert natd any from any to <public IP>

> Have you tried restricting your rules to only the vr1 interfaces, with
> <public IP> configured directly on vr1:
>
> divert natd ip from 192.168.1.0/24 to any out xmit vr1
> divert natd ip from any to <public IP> in recv vr1

Ah, there are recv/xmit semantics as well as in/out. I need to read the
man page more thoroughly!

However, this doesn't seem to work. It has the same symptoms as a single
'any to any via vr1' diversion: outbound packets are rewritten correctly
(verified at the destination) but the replies are never rewritten.

00601   3   180 divert 8668 ip from 192.168.1.0/24 to any out xmit vr1
00602   0     0 divert 8668 ip from any to <public ip> in recv vr1

Nothing ever reaches the second rule. I think the bridge changes ipfw
filtering properties, because the simple 'any to any via vr1' is
mentioned a lot in the literature. It just doesn't work here?

--
Jay L. T. Cornwall
http://www.jcornwall.me.uk/