Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:25:39 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        tiberiu.dragulinescu@cz.abb.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Smallest installation

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 09:54:31AM +0100, tiberiu.dragulinescu@cz.abb.com wrote:
> Hi *,
> I just (incidentally) read an article about freeBSD and my curiosity rise
> up with this question:
> Which is the minimum amount of download for getting a freeBSD up and
> running on my desktop? (just for getting the feel of it)
> I'm thinking about a boot disk image and some basic files... (may even a
> sys-in-a-file image)
>
> Thanx

You can download the mini-iso, which is 110 megs and will let you
completely install the base system.  Otherwise, for the absolute
minimum, you can download the 2 boot floppies, and the /bin directory,
for a total of approximately 37 megs.  Doing that will only give you a
very small subset of the base installation.

Josh