Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:01:36 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe_Eggleston-CJE136@email.mot.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipv6 rc.conf

Hi,

>>>>> On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:41:51 -0600
>>>>> Joseph E Eggleston <Joe_Eggleston-CJE136@email.mot.com> said:

Joseph> I want to have a host use ipv6 to autoconfigure its interface, but then
Joseph> add a couple ipv6 alias addresses to the same interface. The end goal is
Joseph> to configure the interface with its autoconf address and some statically
Joseph> assigned addresses.
Joseph> Is it possible to do this using rc.conf settings?

No.

Joseph> I tried adding lines like:
Joseph> ipv6_ifconfig_xl0="3ffe:b00:4025::a prefixlen 64"
Joseph> ...
Joseph> But only the last such line gets used and this also turns off autoconf.
Joseph> Is there a correct way to do this?

It is expected behavior.  Mixing automatic configuration and static
configuration may cause conflict, and cannot estimate the influence.
So, current rc.network6 has been made these exclusive for safety.
However, if you DO want to use automatic and static on same interface,
you still may be able to use ifconfig_xxx with inet6 flag in that
argument instead of ipv6_ifconfig_xxx.  But, I don't recommend.

ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/