Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:32:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hennessy <mark@cloud9.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Proper usage of dump and restore when not using tapes

I have tried to use dump and restore without using a tape.
I can dump successfully, but attempts to restore fail in interactive
mode with an indexing issue (it keeps asking for the volume number to
check and when I provide 1, it cannot find anything).

backup.sh script:
 #!/bin/sh
# dump to file on disk
/sbin/dump -0u -f /backup/volume /dev/volume
# compress file on disk
/usr/bin/gzip /backup/volume

restore.sh script:
 #!/bin/sh
# uncompress, probably ok to use zcat instead of cat instead
/usr/bin/gzip -d /backup/volume
# restore interactive mode
/bin/cat /backup/volume | /sbin/restore ivf -
# recompress, ditto to above remark
/usr/bin/gzip /backup/volume

Any ideas?

--