Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:00:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan H." <danh@nofx.eagle.ca>
To:        Duraid <latif2221@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pentuim vs alpha vs amd

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Duraid wrote:

> which one is the best the market and why? i know that alpha is a RISC
> prossesor while pentiums are CISC.. on the other hand pentuims reached
> 1.5 GHz clock cycle while alpha are still around 400 MHz (not sure) ...
> which ones freebsd supports and which one it support best.

Intel (Pentium) is probably the most widely supported.

AMD is the second most widely supported, and is gaining on Intel everyday.
AMD might be a bit faster at one thing, and Intel faster at another, but
in the end, I think pretty much even out. AMD at the same clock speed as
an Intel, is usually cheaper these days.

Main thing is chipsets, and which ones are supported. Intel chipsets seem
to have a lot more support, than AMD. Plus, some of the VIA chipsets are
buggy (mostly in Windows OS, though), which is a well know AMD based
chipset.

Not sure about Alpha... ;)

Good luck!

--Dan