Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 01:53:11 -0600
From:      "art.ca" <art.ca@shaw.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   networking

--Boundary_(ID_30C72+v2x/ZLi/22M6DqgQ)

--Boundary_(ID_1AkAhxy4pFdbOygK2abp/Q)

Dear FreeBSD,

I have downloaded and installed several of the latest versions of FreeBSD successfully,
but I have a problem.

I am using ClarkConnect to share my home internet connection among several PCs because it
simply installs with options and features that I wish to utilize. That is to say, it issues IP addresses,
protects my home network with a stealth firewall, and allows me to share files with Windows machines.
I am also able to utilize these features with Corel Linux 2nd edition.

With these two Operating
Systems, I can see other PCs in my network, and I can see shared items such as printers,
directories, etc. and I can easily access them. So far, no matter what I've tried or what I've read,
I haven't been able to accomplish this with FreeBSD.

I REALLY would like to use FreeBSD, rather than these others for sharing my internet
connection, etc. I like FreeBSD. It has a great many features that I
really appreciate. Among the most important to me is the cost, the stability, and the
functionality. My goal is to eventually abandon Windows altogether.

I guess I haven't found the proper documentation to properly configure FreeBSD the way
I'd like. I am wondering if you can provide, or point the way for me to learn how to accomplish
the network configurations that I would like to achieve with FreeBSD?

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Art Schmidt
art.ca@shaw.ca

--Boundary_(ID_1AkAhxy4pFdbOygK2abp/Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Dear FreeBSD,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I have downloaded and installed several of the latest
versions of FreeBSD successfully,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>but I have a problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I am using ClarkConnect to share my home internet
connection among several PCs because it</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>simply installs with options&nbsp;and features that I wish
to utilize. That is to say, it issues IP addresses,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>protects</FONT><FONT face=Arial> my home network with a
stealth firewall, and allows me to share files with Windows
machines.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I am also able to&nbsp;utilize these features with Corel
Linux 2nd edition.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>With these two Operating</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Systems, I can <STRONG>see</STRONG> other PCs</FONT><FONT
face=Arial> in my network, and I can <STRONG>see</STRONG> shared items such as
printers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>directories, etc. and I can easily access</FONT><FONT
face=Arial> them. </FONT><FONT face=Arial>So far, no matter</FONT><FONT
face=Arial> what I've tried or what I've read,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I haven't been able to accomplish this</FONT><FONT
face=Arial> with</FONT><FONT face=Arial> FreeBSD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I REALLY would like to use FreeBSD, rather than these
others for sharing my internet</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>connection, etc. I like FreeBSD. It has a great many
features that I</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>really appreciate. Among the most important to me is
the&nbsp;cost, the stability, and the</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>functionality. My goal is to eventually abandon
Windows&nbsp;altogether.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I guess I haven't found the proper documentation to
properly configure FreeBSD the way</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>I'd like.</FONT><FONT face=Arial> I am wondering if you
can provide, or point the way for me to learn how to accomplish</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>the network configurations that I would like to achieve
with FreeBSD?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Thank you in advance for any&nbsp;help you are able to
provide.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial>Art Schmidt</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial><A
href="mailto:art.ca@shaw.ca">art.ca@shaw.ca</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_1AkAhxy4pFdbOygK2abp/Q)--

--Boundary_(ID_30C72+v2x/ZLi/22M6DqgQ)

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Schmidt;Art;@Shaw
FN:Schmidt, Art
TEL;WORK;VOICE:Cellular - (780) 722-2352
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(780) 998-2202
TEL;CELL;VOICE:Cellular - (780) 722-2352
ADR;WORK:;;;Fort Saskatchewan;AB;T8L 1C9;CA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Fort Saskatchewan, AB T8L 1C9=0D=0ACA
ADR;HOME:;;8706 - 95A Avenue;Fort Saskatchewan;AB;T8L 1C9;CA
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:8706 - 95A Avenue=0D=0AFort Saskatchewan, AB T8L 1C9=0D=0ACA
X-WAB-GENDER:2
URL;HOME:http://members.shaw.ca/art.ca
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:art.ca@shaw.ca
EMAIL;INTERNET:ace_pctech@canada.com (fwd here)
REV:20020830T075311Z
END:VCARD

--Boundary_(ID_30C72+v2x/ZLi/22M6DqgQ)--