Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 21:23:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        Robin Woolard <RWoolard@NewWorldApps.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FDISK and extended partition...

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Robin Woolard wrote:

> I have a large hard drive that I'm trying to partition for FreeBSD.  I've
> got my primary partition set up in FDISK and I am trying to set up the rest
> of the drive as an extended partition.

FreeBSD has no native extended partitions. If this is for
another OS, create the extended partition using that OS's
partitioning utility. If this is for FreeBSD, you need only
create another primary disk partition, format it, then
mount it. The handbook (www.freebsd.org/handbook/) has
some coverage on this.

For the record, disk partitions are referred to as 'slices'
and the filesystems within a 'slice' are referred to as
'partitions'. Keep this in mind while you're reading the
FreeBSD documentation. :-)

> The FDISK help does not mention any
> partition type numbers *except* for the native FreeBSD partition type (165).
> I have been using the online installation manual and there is a reference to
> an extended partition on one of the graphics (check out Figure 8-4 at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rpratt/sgml_prev/fdiskall.html).  However, there
> is no mention of extended partition type numbers in the text of the manual.

Those extended partition types you see on `rpratt's' page
are Win9x 32bit FAT partitions, not FreeBSD. I'm fairly
certain he does this to help those who "dual-boot" their
systems between FreeBSD and other OSs, which is quite
common.

> According to Figure 8-4, the type for extended is 15 but when I try to enter
> 15 as a partition type, I get a type of "extended dos, LBA", not "extended"
> as in Figure 8-4.  I do not want a DOS partition type.

Correct. 15(0x0f) is Win9x 32bit FAT which was designated
for extended int 13 use, as was 13(0x0d) and 14(0x0e).
It's a kludge and not very compatible, even within the Redmond
camp.

> I would like to use a FreeBSD extended partition type if possible.
> Does anyone know what number the extended partition uses or where

Extended partitions solved the shortcomings of certain OSs.
FreeBSD has no such issues.

> I can find a list of the partition types and their respective numbers?
>
> Thanks,
> R. Woolard

.cr