Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:00:49 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposal of a better solution for "statclock broken" laptops

Nate Williams wrote:

> This is good stuff Jose.  Unfortunately, as the author and bug-finder of
> the original 'broken statclock' code, I don't have time to delve into if
> your new solution works.  Partly because the machine in question is no
> longer in my service, and partly because I don't have time to do
> '-current' development anymore.

Unfortunately I have only one laptop which presents the "broken statclock"
problem, and it works fine now :-) I could commit the changes to
-CURRENT, but I am not the maintainer of clock.c and I don't want to
start a conflict.

> Note also that someone (you?) sent a patch a few days ago that caused
> the statclock to start working again due to a missing read call to the
> interrupt, which also might fix it.  I don't have the reference handy,
> but it may be that the statclock has worked the entire time, it just
> that something forgot to read a critical register.
>
> Ahh, it was *you* that proposed the fix, and later assigned it to Bruce.
> Can you tell me what is different about the fix you posted in your PR
> vs. this one?

They deal with different problems. The statclock did not start on my
Dell I3.7k because of a pending interrupt being not cleared at startup.
The patch included in PR 17800 fixes this problem.

The "broken statclock" is a different problem, related to APM: some
machines cannot be put in suspended state while the statclock is generating
interrupts. Unfortunately, my Dell I3.7k is one of those machines, so
once I got the statclock working thanks to my own fix included in PR 17800,
I needed to set apm(4)'s 0x20 flag for being able to suspend my laptop;
but then the statclock was lost again! I suggest a different solution
which keeps both the statclock and APM suspend working.

> Finally, not having the statclock is *really* not that big of a deal.
> It makes for better heuristics in the scheduler, but in fact makes very
> little difference in most machines as far as performance goes.

True, we can live without the statclock, but if there is some way
to keep it working... (actually, the statclock problem is one of my
obsessions since I got my I3.7k in January) :-) :-)

Saludos,
-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071