Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 16:25:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        doug@footech.com (Doug Jolley)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Hard Drive Partitions

In a previous message, Doug Jolley said:
> >Partitions count from 1-4.
>
> >/dev/sd0s1
>
> OK.  Thanks for the input.
>
> I hate to belabor the point; but, why then does mount show the
> device driver associated with my / partition as /dev/sd0a
> while fdisk says that my FreeBSD partition is partition 2.
> (Partition 1 is msdos and partitions 3 and 4 are unused (at
> least according to fdisk)).  I would think, if anything,
> that /dev/sd0a would be associated with the very first
> partition (in my case the msdos partition).  IOW, I would think
> that 0 would go with the very first partition, 1 with the second,
> etc.

Your confusion is in the difference between a partition in x86
hardware and a BSD partition.

The BIOS on your computer allows you to create 4 partitions, for
DOS, Windows, Unix, Linux, OS/2, whatever. In FreeBSD we refer
to those as slices, hence sd0s1, sd0s2, ...

Then inside your FreeBSD slice, you can then up to 8 BSD partitions,
a thru h. This is were you get sd0a, sd0b, ...

> I'll save for another question the fact that the device driver
> for my /usr partition is /dev/sd02f and the device driver for
> my /var partition is /dev/sd02e.  I have no idea how those were
> determined.  I also am still unclear on what the device driver
> for my msdos partition should be.

Actually, they are sd0s2f and sd0s2e. This is a more honest approach
to naming the partition, telling you the BIOS slice and the BSD partition.
In 2.2.6, they have changed sd0a to sd0s?a. Hopefully, this will
avoid confusion for other people.

> Thanks for any further input.  (Again, sorry to drag this out.)
>
>      ... doug
> Doug Jolley     mailto://doug@footech.com      http://www.footech.com
>          Don't bogart that file, my friend.  Net it over to me.

The only thing that makes life worth living is the willingness to risk
everything. Unless you risk everything, you don't have a life.
                       -- Roger Payne