Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:16:32 -0500
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Eir Nym <eirnym@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PF from OpenBSD 4.7

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:27, eirnym@ wrote:
> On 20 February 2011 06:50, jhell <jhell@dataix.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 03:26, eirnym@ wrote:
>>>
>>> I heard while ago about packet filter update coming, but there're no
>>> news about. Which status of this update?
>>>

>> This was for OpenBSD pf45 not pf47. The patchset should be somewhere in the
>> archives for HEAD.
>>

> Differences between pf45 and pf47 are more smaller than between pf45
> and current pf.
>
> I've found them, but there no status about. Should I ask same question
> in freebsd-current@ mail list?

Difference being that after pf45 there was a syntax change that is nearly
incompatible with the current pf41-45 syntax so AFAIR based on that pf45
was voted as the most likely to be merged into HEAD.

There is an email from Theo @openbsd.org about the syntactic changes that
have made people a little jumpy at adopting pf > 45 but eventually it will
work its way in.

What advantages to using pf47 over using pf45 have you found in ``real
use'' ? and how realistic are those changes for the masses ?

--

  jhell