Date:      Sat, 23 May 2009 00:53:09 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>, "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ifconfig triggers kernel trap on boot

Am 22.05.2009 um 21:34 schrieb Attilio Rao:

> Did this happen inside VMware or with normal running?

I encountered this originally on my main server:

FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #4: Sat Mar 28 12:46:14 CET 2009
     root@diesel.lassitu.de:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DIESEL
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz (2666.77-MHz K8-
class CPU)
   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x10676  Stepping = 6

Features
=
0xbfebfbff
<
FPU
,VME
,DE
,PSE
,TSC
,MSR
,PAE
,MCE
,CX8
,APIC
,SEP
,MTRR
,PGE
,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

Features2
=0x8e39d<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1>
   AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
   AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
   TSC: P-state invariant
   Cores per package: 2
usable memory = 4177514496 (3983 MB)
avail memory  = 4009562112 (3823 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <INTEL  DG45FC  >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1

This is an Intel DG45FC board.

The same kernel from May 21 also crashes in a VMware instance.  Using
the same kernel config to create a kernel on the VMware instance also
panics.  GENERIC from the same sources does not crash in a VMware
instance; I haven't tried on real hardware yet.  Configs and the
kernels are at http://www.lassitu.de/freebsd/ifconfig-panic/

I'm currently trying to take out things from the DIESEL config until
it stops panicking or I end up with stock GENERIC, using my VMware
instance.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811