Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:56:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Finding scd0

I have two old 486DXs that I have 'appropriated' at my office, where
no one wants to have their screensavers running on anything less than
a 500MHz PIII. Both have Sony CDROMs (and one has a 5.25" floppy
drive! =). However, I only have 'found' the drive on one.

On the first, I recklessly clobbered the old M$ OS without checking
all of the hardware configurations. Now I cannot find the Sony
CDROM. If I boot looking at the default 0x230, nothing. If I boot at
0x340, which is where I found it on the other machine (by looking it
up in Winbloze first), still nothing.

How can I determine the I/O address for this CDROM?

Along these lines, for the weekend I am remote from this box, but I
can ssh in. How can I configure the kernel (without continuously
rebuilding new ones) to try different addresses using just the boot
files (since I won't be at the console)? I've looked at boot(8) and
loader(8). The docs are fairly voluminous an example of the commands
to do it would be a great help.

Thanks for help or pointers to more specific documentation.