Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 01:07:33 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, Reginald Perry <perry@zso.dec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC Magazine 10/20/1998 Article about FreeBSD

On Tue, Oct 06, 1998 at 10:23:57AM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Reginald Perry wrote:
>
> >room before network saturation! So who is going to write the author and
> >request a correction?
>
> Sounds like you just volunteered. :)

I have already mailed quite a bit back and forth with him, and we're
trying to track down if something could be done to better the results.

It averaged out around 27Mb/s, which I think sound a little low (but
that might be wrong).

My present suspicion is atime updates; it seems the server was not
configured noatime, which seem like it would strange the disk with
synchronous write requests.  That would be reasonably consistent with
the numbers.

However, it may also be that the test is fair - IIS has done a lot to
optimize this, including (if I understand correctly) NT kernel support
just to serve static pages faster.

Eivind.