Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 07:27:25 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ben Stuyts <ben@altus-escon.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs security fix not in RELENG_4?

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:15:27PM +0100, Ben Stuyts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding the security advisory concerning the remotely exploitable
> vulnerability in cvs server:
>
> I am running a 4-stable system with a cvs tag of RELENG_4 here. According to
> the advisory, this system is vulnerable.

The advisory says that RELENG_4 is NOT VULNERABLE as of `2003-01-21
22:26:46 UTC'.

> However, I cannot find a fix for this in the RELENG_4 branch.

Yes you can.  :-)  You found it:

> The affected file server.c has a cvs id of 1.13.2.5 dated 2003/01/21.
> Nothing else has been committed since on this branch.

That revision contains the fix.  Compare the diff with the one
referenced from the advisory.

> Am I overlooking something?

The security problem was fixed with an upgrade to CVS 1.11.5 in
-CURRENT and -STABLE.  It was fixed with a simple patch in the
security branches.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar@celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos