Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:21:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Anthony E." <apwebdesign@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: error when "make" for apache 1.3.14...

Anthony E. <apwebdesign@yahoo.com> types:
> I actually did that too....installing from source.
> I installed JDK, JSDK, Cocoon, Apache, and Jserv from
> the downloaded source.
>
> The cocoon test worked, but my app didn't work
> properly.
>
> Everyone says that it's best to install from
> ports...I'm wondering if that's just because it's
> convenient and a nifty FreeBSD thing...or are the
> actual sources in the ports "ported" specifically for
> freebsd?
> It seems to me, after looking at the makefile for
> apache, that it just pulls the source from
> www.apache.org/dist

The ports mechanism buys you two things. 1) it tracks what's
installed, so you can easily uninstall it; 2) it provides a hook to
apply FreeBSD specific patches to the original sources, doing the work
of "porting" the application.

The apache13 port has patches that are applied to the sources that get
pulled from www.apache.org/dist.

	<mike