Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 1997 09:27:07 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        "Chris F." <theta@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XWindows:  Can't open display:

Chris F.:
 |I am using FreeBSD 2.2.2.  When running Xwindows applications I get the
 |following error:
 |
 |(When I don't set the display variable)
 |
 |Error: Can't open display:
 |
 |(When I set it to :0)
 |
 |Error: Can't open display: :0
 |
 |I don't know what I should set my display variable to.  I have tried setting
 |it to :0, unix:0, unix:0.0, as they were suggested in archived mailing list
 |messages.  None of them caused any different results.  Please copy all
 |suggestions to me at theta@gte.net.

Where are you running the X apps from?  Cmd line in Xterms?  Pull-down menu
in window manager?

Run "xhost" and note the output.  Then run "xhost +" (for testing only) and
see if starting an X app that failed before with that error will come up now.

Also, if running from inside an xterm, verify correct syntax for setting an
env var for your shell:

      "setenv DISPLAY :0.0"         for tcsh/csh, or
      "DISPLAY=:0.0 export DISPLAY" for sh/ksh/bash

Randall Hopper