Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:42:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "gbnaidu  " <gbnaidu@my-Deja.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to get outgoing interface...

<<On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 21:17:21 -0800, "gbnaidu  " <gbnaidu@my-Deja.com> said:

[Paragraph reformatted for legibility.  In the future, please press
return at the end of each 72-character line.]

> I am trying to dump the routing table using the sysctl system
> call. I am able to get the destination address, gateway, mask all
> these entries. But How do I get the outgoing interface for a
> particular entry in the routing table?

Keep on looking in the routing message.  A typical response will look
like this:

sockaddrs: <DST,GATEWAY,NETMASK,IFP,IFA>
 default anacreon default fxp0:0.a0.c9.3c.76.5c khavrinen

You have found the first three sockaddrs in the message; the RTA_IFP
sockaddr will tell you which interface is being used, and the RTA_IFA
one will tell you the IP address configured on that interface.

-GAWollman