Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:06:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bash install also installs seti@home???

That's not how to install ports.  You want to go to the directory of the
port you want (in the case of bash, shells/bash2 ) and type make install.
Typing make install in /usr/ports tells the system to install all the
ports.  astro starts with an a.

L:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Jonathan Hilgeman wrote:

> I just did an install of FreeBSD-4.2-RELEASE and was trying to install the
> bash shell. So I went into /usr/ports and typed:
>
> 	make install bash2
>
> However, it started to install lots of stuff. It installed
> tcl/tk/Xfree86/X-Windows and a bunch of other stuff (I wasn't watching the
> whole way through), and is installing packages in the "astro" directory as I
> write this. It just finished installing seti@home, I believe. What the heck
> is it doing, and why do I need all of this junk just for the bash shell? I'm
> assuming it's getting installed because a bigger program needs a smaller
> program which needs a smaller program, etc... but this is ridiculous. It's
> already consumed over 400 megs. Someone please help...
>
> - Jonathan

Laurence Berland
http://www.isp.northwestern.edu