Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 01:33:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > The recommended sshd startup method used to be /etc/rc*(/*), probably
> > for historical reasons.  It may still be a good idea on slow CPUs,
> > where it can take a while to generate a session key, or where
> > inetd.conf isn't running, however, in my experience, sshd is much more
> > reliably run from inetd.
>
> I haven't had that experience myself, so I guess it's one of those
> different strokes kinda issues.

The one funny thing I've experienced with sshd (+kerberosIV/AFS patches)
is that every hour during key regeneration, no one can log in.
Connections are accepted via TCP, and the SSH version number banner is
passed back, but no logins are allowed during the key generation (users
get a login refused of some kind).  I believe that is the event that
results in this effect)  Running it from inetd might improve that
arrangement, but on my slower machines the key generation time from
running it out of inetd would really suck. :)  I keep meaning to track
this down but haven't yet.

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/