Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 16:26:05 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Warnings while compiling Samba

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 04:06:25PM +0200, Francesco Toscan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> last night i decided to turn that old 486 into a Samba server for my
> internal network.
> I cvsupped to 4.3-STABLE, synched my source and ports tree and then
> compiled samba-devel from ports.
> make goes fine and servers work well as expected, but during compilation
> i noticed several warnings like this:
>
> lib/util.o: In function `smbd_mktemp':
> lib/util.o(.text+0x28d8): warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely;
> consider using mkstemp()
>
> Now, servers work, but should i be concerned about any security issues
> derivating from these warnings?

Hello,

This warning is always triggered if the linker encounters this function
name since often it is used unsafely and since FreeBSD provides a better
alternative. But this is for the programmer/porter who might consider if he
better swap mktemp() to mkstemp() or not. Unfortunately, it is not as easy
as switching the two words... so I do not think you should be very
concerned about this.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM