Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:30:47 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <DonWilde@safezonesys.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2B is going 2Bcome irrelevant

Thought you all'd enjoy this. Reference the Editorial by Jonathan
Erickson of Doctor Dobb's Journal, January '99 issue pg. 8, probably
also on their ddj.com website. The OpEd discusses the implications and
slanting of the proposed Uniform Commercial Code Article 2B, which is
designed to bless the 'you open it, you agree' payware licenses and all
their legalistic theft.

Dear Jonathan -
	I appreciated your editorial pointing out the questionable worth
of the new UCC Article 2B.

	Your worry is well founded, but I'd like to point out a growing
counter-force to the payware dinosaurs and their legions of lawyers. I
have eliminated most of my payware-licensed programs and use only
freely-distributable open source programs like FreeBSD and XFree86. Now
that people are reverse engineering Micros**t's proprietary data formats
such as Word6 .DOC and Excel5 .XLS, I no longer need those
monstrosities. We small furry mammals may occasionally be squashed by
the behemoths, but we're breeding like you-know-what, and now we're
starting to get corporate and media recognition.

	I realize that your audience is mostly professional software
engineers paid to create software --  I am one -- but we all know that
open source (by virtue of its open inspection by the internet community)
is far more robust than most payware. Most of us are forced by
Windows-centric managers to use Windows-based tools, or -- worse! --
pirated copies of such. It is true that there is a broader base of
desktop and specialty packages available for NT and W9x -- now -- but
that is changing as the perceptual sea-change sweeps the commercial
marketplace.

	It doesn't take many defections from the Microsoft-oriented
community to create a massive multiplication of our freeware developer
resources. Even if only one percent of the Windows people switch, and
one percent of those contribute to the FreeBSD source base, that's still
a tripling (at least!) of our developer community. We already have a
robust, commercial-grade operating system, and all of the
internet-developed programs out there have been ported in complete
packages to FreeBSD and are available on the distribution disks. This
includes all the tools that NASA and the National Labs used in the 70's
and 80's on their early Sun workstations to develop all their esoteric
toys, and today's commodity PC's are so much more powerful than Sun 3's
that we can take it so much farther.

	FreeBSD PC's are not PC's any more. We shouldn't compare them to
Windoze word processors and spreadsheet calculators. They are
inexpensive and powerful personal graphics workstations, complete with
networking, mail services and web-in-a-box, and they scare the bejesus
out of Bill Gates because he then becomes an irrelevance. We are more of
a threat to him than Scott McNealy or Ray Noorda ever will be.

	We people have more sense than either Wall Street or Washington
give us credit for. 2B will only accelerate the acceptance and further
development of open source software.

		Don Wilde
		donwilde@safezonesys.com